Friday, July 13, 2007

I love those quiet (and sometimes not so quiet) moments when you're talking to your kids and get a glimpse of what is going in that little head of theirs. The other night, Mark had gone to pick up the boys from a friends. The girls were both in bed and Garret and I were sitting on the couch in the office waiting for the boys to come home. We decided to turn off the office light so that we could surprise Jordan and Nick. We were talking and this is a glimpse of our conversation:

Jill: Garrett - what do you want to be when you grow up?

Garrett: (With no hesitation) A Bear.

Jill: A Bear???

Garrett: Yes Mom...I want to be a bear!

Jill: Well Garrett, how will you become a bear?

Garrett: Heavenly Father will kill me and then I will be a bear! (At this point, I remind myself he's four :). Mark said that I should have told him to go and find the lights on the mountain! I think we've watched "Brother Bear" a few too many times)

Jill: But Garrett, I doesn't work like that!

Garrett: (heartbroken) But Mom...why not???

Jill: Heavenly Father gives us just one body. When we die, we go back and live with Him. We can't come back as a bear!

He was so disappointed! We went on to talk about all of the things he could do when he "grows up". Maybe he'll be a bear trainer!

2 comments:

Beth said...

I'm glad Garrett wants to be a bear! Martha wants to be a "black mermaid!"

Kara Allred said...

this is hilarious. i couldn't stop laughing. you re told the story perfectly....
and my e-mail is karebear_f2@hotmail.com to add me so i can add you for permission to my blog...